Thursday, September 2, 2010

Fruit Day!!

Today was fruit day!! 
So we learned how to cut up melons, kiwi, pineapple, strawberries, and cut supremes (little wedges) out of citrus fruits. From there we were all to make a fruit plate and present it to chef. After seeing the creativity in some of my classmates designs I'm not sure if fruit platters are my thing...Still fun though =) Enough talking...Picture time!!
My fruit plate
One of Steph's beautiful plates
Steph's other plate
Here is chef looking at all them. Overall he was pleased =)

Zach and chef's donkey
Chef made a donkey out of a watermelon. It was one of the funniest things I've ever seen =)
Pineapple Hat #1
Pineapple Hat #2 (Paige)

Recipe of the day:
How to make an Apple Bird

Ingredients:
1 Apple
1 Lemon
Water

Directions:
  1. Cut a small section out of the bottom of the apple to help keep the apple in place
  2. Cut a large v-section out of the top of the apple
  3. Cut a smaller v-section in the first v-section and repeat until you have the desired number of sections
  4. Carefully separate the sections and shingle out on top each other to create a feather pattern.
  5. Repeat two more times;one on each side
  6. Submerge the apple in the lemon water to stop browning
  7. Cut a heart shape out of the apple bottom scrap, fold, and use as birds head.
***I tried twice to make an apple bird and it was insane how difficult it was. Congrats to my classmates who could make these amazing garnishes!! ***

1 comment:

Nikki said...

Like I said on Monday at dinner, I like your fruit plate a lot. It may not have as much fruit as others' plates, but I think it is pretty and it looks like a flower. :) It doesn't look too "busy", and I would eat it!