Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Intro to Garde Manger

I am now in the last 10 days of my Block I course!!! So really what that means is for the past two months I've taken three 10 day courses (Intro to Professional Cookery; Stocks, Sauces, and Soups; and Methods of Cooking) and I am finally on my last one; Into to Garde Manger. From what I understand, Garde Manger is the cold section of the kitchen so pates, sausage making, cold appetizers, etc (correct me if I'm wrong please). And who have I been learning all of these amazing things from?! My chef, Chef Frank Chlumsky. (Pictured Below =p )
He really is an amazing and knowledgeable teacher/chef and I know I'm going to miss him (and his mustache) when I'm done with Block I. Anyway! Today was all about eggs. Sunny side up, Poached, Flipped/Over easy, quiche cookery, french omelette folding...we did them all. Nothing crazy exciting but all things I have to learn. Tomorrow: Fruit Cutting!!

Bacon and Swiss Quiche
(Little brown on the one side but still good)
Recipe of the Day:
Eggs Benedict

Eggs Benedict
Servings: 1

Ingredients:
1 English Muffing, Spilt
2 Canadian Bacon Slices
2 Eggs
Salt, TT
2 T Vinegar
4 oz Hollandaise Sauce
Garnish: 2 Truffle slices/Black Olive Halves

Procedure:
  1. Toast English Muffin
  2. Saute/ griddle the Canadian Bacon until hot
  3. Bring 1 qt water to the boil, add salt and vinegar
  4. Add eggs and poach until done
  5. Assemble: Place English Muffin on plate and top with bacon, poached egg, and cover with Hollandaise Sauce
  6. Garnish with truffle slice or black olive half (optional)

No comments: